Blackwood family spared trial

first_imgThe family of murdered Pakenham woman Kylie Blackwood won’t have to face a gruelling trial, after the man charged with…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription. By Mitchell Clarke last_img

Read More

Covid confusion: no symptoms, no test

first_imgBy Danielle Kutchel The Department of Health and Human Services has updated its criteria on getting tested for Covid-19 – and the change…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Read More

Ex-Chelsea doctor settles case against Mourinho

first_img0Shares0000Former Chelsea doctor Eva Carneiro (centre) leaves Croydon Employment Tribunal in south London, on June 7, 2016 (AFP Photo/Adrian Dennis)CROYDON, United Kingdom, June 7 – Former Chelsea doctor Eva Carneiro settled her case against the club and their ex-manager Jose Mourinho for an undisclosed sum on Tuesday just as she seemed set to testify against them.After negotiations that saw lawyers scuttling back and forth between two rooms at the London South Employment Tribunal in suburban Croydon, both sides reached a private agreement. “The parties agreed to the settlement of this dispute on confidential terms,” lawyer Daniel Stilitz, representing Chelsea and Mourinho, told the tribunal at a delayed hearing that eventually lasted no more than two minutes.Carneiro, whom Chelsea said had rejected an offer of £1.2 million ($1.75 million, 1.54 million euros) to settle her claims, had been due to start giving evidence Tuesday in her case against the London club and Mourinho, who was appointed Manchester United’s new manager last month.She was pursuing a constructive dismissal case against Chelsea and a connected, personal legal action against Mourinho — who left the Blues in December — for alleged victimisation and sexual discrimination.But when Mourinho and Chelsea’s top executives unexpectedly arrived at the tribunal before Carneiro was due to start giving evidence, it seemed a deal to avert an eight-day public slanging match was in the offing.Two dozen reporters shut inside a waiting room could only watch through a small window as representatives from both sides moved along the corridor, as lightning flashed and thunder shook the building in a torrential rainstorm.– Chelsea’s unreserved apology –Carneiro, 42, said she was “relieved” to have concluded the case, calling it an “extremely difficult and distressing time for me and my family”, in a statement after the brief hearing.Chelsea said it was “pleased” that an agreement had been reached.“The club regrets the circumstances which led to Dr Carneiro leaving the club and apologises unreservedly to her and her family for the distress caused,” said a statement on behalf of the club and Mourinho.But there was no apology from the Portuguese manager in either the statement, or before a heaving scrum of reporters, photographers and cameramen which surrounded him as he left the tribunal.Carneiro alleges Mourinho shouted “filha da puta” at her — Portuguese for daughter of a whore — after she ran on the pitch during a match.In an extract from a statement by Mourinho read out before the tribunal on Monday, he claimed he was known for regularly using the term “filho da puta”, meaning son of a whore, in the heat of a match and had done so throughout the game in question.– Mourinho avoids grilling –Mourinho dropped Carneiro as Chelsea’s first team doctor after the Blues’ opening match of last season in the English Premier League, a 2-2 draw at home to Swansea on August 8.Mourinho angrily berated her after she and physio Jon Fearn ran on the pitch to treat midfielder Eden Hazard, obliging him to leave the field of play before being readmitted.That meant the Blues were temporarily down to nine players — goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois having already been sent off — at a critical late stage of the game.Mourinho had branded Carneiro and Fearn “impulsive and naive” afterwards, saying they failed to understand the match situation.She did not appear on the bench again for first-team duties and later parted company with Chelsea.Carneiro defended her actions in her statement, saying: “My priority has always been the health and safety of the players and fulfilling my duty of care as a doctor.“In running onto the pitch to treat a player, who requested medical attention, I was following the rules of the game and fulfilling my medical responsibilities.”Chelsea accepted that the doctor had “always put the interests of the club’s players first”, calling her a “highly competent and professional sports doctor.”The agreement also means Mourinho avoids a day of questioning before the tribunal.“Jose Mourinho also thanks Dr Carneiro for the excellent and dedicated support she provided as first team doctor and he wishes her a successful career,” the statement said at the end.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Read More

DONEGAL BOAT USERS URGED TO GET €250 LIFE-SAVING DEVICE

first_imgHowever there is no legislation forcing small craft owners to use the devices. The device could help save lives and reduce the cost of marine rescue services by millions of euro per year. The Irish language newspaper Foinse reported yesterday that emergency position-indicating radio beacons or EPIRB’s are tracking transmitters which aid in the detection and location of boats and people in distress. An automatic detection device costing just €250 which could save lives at sea is not compulsory for all boats, it has been revealed.center_img Kevin Rahill, a safety education officer with the RNLI,  whose lifeboats launched more than a thousand times last year, told Foinse:  “The RNLI advise that people who go out on long distance journeys should  have an EPIRB on board. It is a very useful piece of equipment. If you are staying close to the shore VHF radio is probably enough but if you are going out of radio range you should have an EPIRB.”.There was an EPIRB device on board the boat of the Skerries fishermen, Ronan Browne (25) and David Gilsenan (41) who went missing on the 1st of April after leaving Skerries harbour in their 17ft open-top vessel, Lady Linda. However the device was an older manual version which has to be set by hand – and not an automatic version.DONEGAL BOAT USERS URGED TO GET €250 LIFE-SAVING DEVICE was last modified: April 14th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:automatic deviceboat safetydonegallast_img read more

Read More

Liberals rave as Harman denied key security post

first_imgWASHINGTON – Liberals cheered the announcement Friday that Los Angeles Democrat Rep. Jane Harman will not lead the House Intelligence Committee next year, while military analysts called the decision a loss for national security. “I think Harman would have been one of the worst choices for this position,” said author and popular liberal commentator Glenn Greenwald. “It’s very refreshing to see Pelosi choose someone who will take oversight seriously.” But Dan Goure, a national security expert with the Lexington Institute think tank, described Harman as a well-respected expert on intelligence matters and called her removal a mistake. “I think that it is a mistake for Democrats newly in power after a decade of being in the wilderness to not go with their strongest team, and that was Jane Harman,” Goure said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’Security experts credit Harman with creating the position of a national intelligence director – calling for the creation of the post several months before the 9/11 Commission recommended it. She also was an early voice for a comprehensive assessment of intelligence on Iraq. “She’s very plugged into the professionals and the agencies,” Denis McDonough, a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress liberal think tank in D.C. Harman, for her part, issued a statement Friday congratulating Reyes and vowing to help make his transition a smooth one. “I leave this position with incredible respect for the women and men of the intelligence community,” Harman said. “I pledge to them that I will continue to look after their interests and the interests of the intelligence industrial base that is largely centered in my congressional district in California.” lisa.friedman@langnews.com (202) 662-8731 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More

Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund scout West Ham starlet

first_img Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Latest Football Stories 2 Oxford became West Ham’s youngster-ever player when he started for them in their Europa League match with Luisitanos in 2015, aged 16. RANKED Oxford during his loan spell with Borussia Monchengladbach. Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ REVEALED He has since only made eight Premier League appearances in four seasons. Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade BEST OF Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars Oxford is yet to make a senior appearance this season but has played regularly for the Under-23s as he attempts to make a breakthrough under new boss Manuel Pellegrini.Man City, Dortmund, and Hoffenheim all ran the rule over the youngster as the mull over moves.Pep Guardiola is thought to be interested with Oxford helping boost City’s homegrown quota, while the German duo believe he could be willing to join the other English starlets in the Bundesliga having previously spent time at Borussia Monchengladbach. Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund have scouted West Ham United starlet Reece Oxford.The youngster, still just 19, was on the scoresheet for the club’s Under-23 side last week as they lost 3-2 to Chelsea at Aldershot Town. ADVICE Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won no dice 2 Reece Oxford in action for West Ham United in 2015. REPLY Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade huge blow MONEY shining REVEALED Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card last_img read more

Read More

How Arsenal flop Denis Suarez can end the season with five trophies

first_imgDenis Suarez could end the season with FIVE trophies, despite his disastrous spell at Arsenal.The Barcelona midfielder joined the Gunners on loan in north London with a view to getting a permanent deal in the summer.With Aaron Ramsey joining Juventus in the summer, manager Unai Emery knew he had to replace the Wales international’s creative talents. TROPHY Denis Suarez proved to be a costly mistake for Arsenal However, injury prevented the 25-year-old Suarez from living up to the lofty expectations surrounding him and ended up costing the Gunners roughly £28,105 per minute.Yet Spanish news outlet Sport claim Suarez can still end the season with an incredible five trophies for his exploits in Spain and England this season.The midfielder featured in Barcelona’s triumphant Supercopa de Espana campaign at the start of the season, as well as making appearances in LaLiga for the newly-crowned champions.Should Barcelona prevail in the Champions League, Suarez will also get a winners medal for making appearances in the group stage against Tottenham Hotspur and PSV Eindhoven. 2 Before his move to Arsenal, Suarez also made four appearances in the Copa del Rey – a trophy Ernesto Valverde will hope to lift when they face Valencia later this month.And Suarez also made appearances for the Gunners in the Europa League, with the Premier League side on course to reach the final in Baku after a 3-1 win over Valencia last week.Despite his potentially trophy-laden season, he made the announcement on Twitter that he would not be playing again this season.“Today [Monday], I want you to know that I will not play again this season,” Suarez wrote. “Some problems in the pubis have complicated my work since the game against BATE Borisov in [the] Europa League in February and now they force me to stop.“The conclusion is that I cannot continue to force more and I have started a treatment that is incompatible with the competition.“I feel that all the effort and sacrifice that I made to come to Arsenal has not had the expected result and you cannot imagine the anger I feel, but health comes first.“I want to thank again such a great club for trusting me, although things have not gone as the two parties dreamed.” revealed Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion 2 gameday cracker whoops JIBE SORRY The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Liverpool update ‘Champions Wall’ after ending 2019 as European and world champions MOST READ IN FOOTBALL latest Lampard appears to aim dig at Mourinho for handling of Salah and De Bruyne at Chelsea LATEST Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? The midfielder in Copa del Rey action for Barcelona earlier in the season last_img read more

Read More

Mark McGhee would be ‘disappointed’ if Rangers fans boycott games

first_imgMark McGhee says he would be “very disappointed” if Rangers fans boycott away matches this season, including Saturday’s League Cup opener at Motherwell.The Steelmen get their campaign under way against Mark Warburton’s side this week, with the newly revamped competition pairing the two sides in the same group.However, the build-up to the match has witnessed talk of a possible boycott of away games at top-flight clubs by Rangers fans this season, with Dave King even addressing such talk.But McGhee believes that would be a loss to the Scottish game and that Rangers fans should be welcomed at grounds around the country. “I’d be very disappointed if Rangers boycott games because I think everywhere would welcome them for the atmosphere.”Rangers will visit Fir Park for the first time since the controversial Scottish Premiership play-off final in 2015.However, McGhee insists that any ill-feeling between the clubs is now a thing of the past.“It should be [in the past],” he said. “We’ve supported Rangers’ cause all along going back to when they went out of the league. “We’re some of the people who supported a positive aspect for Rangers. I think we’re a club that welcomes Rangers back big-time into the league. “As a competition I think it’s better off with Rangers. So I don’t think there’s any bad feeling about that. “Play-off games are emotional and when you’re the team that’s managed to survive you’re euphoric and when you’re the team that’s lost you’re despondent. “I think that’s all that happened that day. That’s in the past and Rangers can look forward again to a big future in the Premiership.” “That seems a shame,” he said. “One of the things we’d be looking forward to was welcoming away supporters here. “It’s one of the things that makes it an atmosphere here. If you’ve got no-one from the away support here our own fans can get complacent. “But if they’re here then it gets our fans on their feet, gets them competitive. We need that. “We need the support of our fans, but sometimes it comes not just our performance but the challenge that the away support brings.last_img read more

Read More

New Motherwell boss: It’s all about avoiding relegation

first_imgNew Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson says the only target he is setting his sights on is to avoid relegation this season.The Fir Park club sit 10th in the Scottish Premiership, four points off the bottom, with 10 games remaining. Robinson, who was acting caretaker manager, was announced as Mark McGhee’s permanent successor on Wednesday.He says his priority is quite simply to stay in the top division and believes he has the characters at the club to achieve this aim. “Keep the club in the division, that’s the be-all and end-all at the minute in time,” he said. “We’ll worry about things after that and male plans for going forward after that. “We can’t sign any other players so we have to deal with what we’ve got and get through to the end of the season.“We’ve got the hand we’ve been dealt now so we’ve got to get the players in shape and winning football matches. “If they show the quality and desire, especially the desire they’ve shown in the last two games, then we’ll be ok. “I think we’ve got good characters here. I’ve been at places and involved at football clubs were people aren’t pulling in the same direction. “We have people pulling in the same direction, from the players, the staff, people in the background who really care for this place and I think that gives you a good chance.” Robinson also confirmed James McFadden will remain as assistant manager at Motherwell until his contract ends.last_img read more

Read More